Dropshipping in Nigeria can be a worthwhile business venture when it is done the right way. Nigeria has a large population which makes it a huge market for businesses and the beauty of dropshipping allows dropshippers from Nigeria target other countries as well. In this article, I will teach you how to start a dropshipping business in Nigeria in 5 easy steps. I will also share tips on how one can successfully run a dropshipping store in Nigeria. Read more on- Dropshipping: Why it’s a good business for Nigerians to Start in 2020.
Alright! Let’s get to it.
How To Start a Dropshipping Business in Nigeria in 5 Easy Steps
1. Choose a Niche – This simply means deciding on the type of product you wish to sell and the specific market your store intends to target. Variables to consider include; demographics and income level of potential customers. Some examples of good product niches include: Skincare products, Tech gadgets, and Fashion items.
Many dropshipping experts advice newbie dropshippers to focus on selling niche products because it gives a dropshipper better brand imaging, customer loyalty and better opportunities for scaling up the business. On the other hand, I strongly believe that a dropshipper’s main goal at the start of the business is to make profit and drive sales, therefore I prefer to focus on finding winning products I can sell on my store to make profit. I also advice finding products that are cheaper in price. This is because these products have a higher profit potential.
2. Choose your Ecommerce Platform – Every webstore needs an ecommerce platform to run on. The most popular platforms among Nigerians apart from Jumia and Konga are Shopify and Alidropship. If you choose to dropship on Jumia or Konga, then you have to manually list products from your supplier on the ecommerce websites, most Nigerian suppliers are from China and can be found on Aliexpress.com. If you choose to have your own independent webstore, then you will need to consider choosing between Alidropship or Shopify. Alidropship works with wordpress to help you develop your webstore. Alidropship provides the Alidropship plugin which you have to buy, this plugin automates the whole process of scouting for suppliers, to adding products to your store, fulfilling orders and so on. Shopify on the other hand is an independent platform which also automates the process of setting up your webstore. Shopify makes use of the app Orbelo. Just like Alidropship you will also have to make payments to use the platform. Both platforms are quite good and very helpful. Read more on- Alidropship Vs Shopify: The Best Ecommerce Platform for your Dropshipping Business. I would normally advice a newbie dropshipper to get an independent ecommerce webstore. Rather than sell on already established ecommerce sites, this is because it gives you better control over what happens on your website and it gives you better chances of scaling up your business in the future.
3. Setting up a Payment Gateway – The biggest challenge I faced while setting up a dropshipping store was finding a payment gateway I could use to send and receive money Internationally in Nigeria. I literally tried using PayPal, Paystack and Stripe. When I had no success with any of these gateways then I found Flutterwave. PayPal is not supported for receiving and making payments in Nigeria at the moment, Stripe is not supported in Nigeria as well although some individuals have found a way around that by registering their business in the United States. Also, to use Paystack for international transactions, you must have a registered business and have your ecommerce website either on Shopify or Alidropship woocommerce platform. Unfortunately Paystack does not support Alidropship original plugin. Flutterwave was the easiest platform I found to use. Flutterwave supports international transactions and is quite easy to integrate on your website.
4. Marketing, Marketing, Marketing – The difference between a successful dropshipping store and an unsuccessful one is all in Marketing. Well, maybe poor customer service can also be a difference, but most times it’s all in the Marketing efforts. Marketing means putting your business in the faces of your potential customers. It means telling people what benefits you have to offer them and why they should get a product you are selling. The most effective ways to market your products is through Facebook ads and google ads. Instagram ads are also a great way to market your products. Instagram is owned by Facebook so running ads on both platforms is quite the same process. Running ads can be quite tricky. Before running ads, I suggest conducting research using Google trends on the potential markets you will like to target with your ads. Make sure to focus on targeting countries where there is an upward trend in the demand for your product.
From the Image, you can tell that the search for bluetooth speakers have been seeing an upward trend. What this means is that there is a demand for the product in that country.
Also when running ads make sure you test out the profitability of a product for at least three days. If you notice a product hasn’t made profit for three consecutive days it time to kill that ad. You can either change your ad strategy or simply focus on a new product. This will help you save money and time and bring the most profit.
Search Engine Optimization is also a great way to get your products to reach potential customers. Make sure your product pages are well tagged. Make sure your products are named properly. Name your products according to most searched terms used while searching for your product on Google. These are little ways to optimise your site.
5. Smile to The Bank – Once you have setup your store completely and have started making profit, you will be definitely be smiling to the bank!
That is all on how to start your dropshipping business in Nigeria. I hope you find this article to be helpful. Do leave any questions or comments you have in the comment section and I will read and answer your questions to the best of my abilities.